The City of Hagerstown can only annex property into the city if the property is contiguous to the city's corporate boundary. If your property is contiguous and you would like to pursue annexation into the City of Hagerstown, please contact the Planning Office at (301)739-8577, extension 138.
Annexation into the City of Hagerstown can provide certain benefits to the property owners. Examples include more flexible zoning classifications, lower water and sewer rates, lower county property tax rates, enhanced urban services, and economic development incentives.
In order to start the process of annexing your property into the city, several documents need to be submitted to the City. The documents include:
- A corporate boundary survey
- A description of the property to be annexed
- A petition signed by at least 25% of the qualified voters, as well as 25% of the owners of assessed property in the area to be annexed
- An assessment certification documenting the value of the land
- Verification of the number of registered voters residing on the subject property
Pre-Annexation / Water Service Requests
If a development project outside the city but is within the Medium-Range Growth Area requests city water service, the requirements of the City's Annexation Policy come into play.
- If the property is contiguous to the city boundary, annexation is required as a condition of water service.
- If the property is not contiguous, a pre-annexation agreement, an availability of services application, and filing fee are required as a condition of services. These forms can be found on the Application Forms page.
- For development projects outside the Medium-Range Growth Area, city water service is only possible through an exception in the City's Water and Wastewater Policy.