Internship opportunities are offered periodically. Internships are only available to college-level students working toward a degree in forensic science or one of the physical or natural sciences. The WMRCL is not able to offer internships to high school students or Criminal Justice majors. Some universities have specific requirements the WMRCL may not be able to meet, such as the required amount of time for the internship, semester scheduling, or type of project/assignment that needs to be completed.
The WMRCL is not able to offer paid internships.
Internships will be offered when the WMRCL staff has a specific research need, or ability to devote the time necessary for a rewarding and educational student experience. Available internships will be posted on this web site. Please complete and submit the Application Form in order to be considered.
- Have excellent work ethic and organizational skills
- Be adept at learning scientific procedures and protocols
- Be self-motivated, self-directed, and self-disciplined
Interns may assist with non-evidentiary tasks associated with:
- Collection, documentation, and testing of assigned materials
- Data Entry
- Establishing and searching databases
- Testing and validation of new laboratory methods and/or protocols
- Complete ride-alongs as the opportunity arises
WMRCL will occasionally allow interested students to perform a half- or full-day job shadow. WMRCL prefers a group of 3-5 students and will offer this no more than two times per year. Please check back for dates and times.
The Western Maryland Regional Crime Laboratory is not currently accepting new applications.