Scams & Fraud
If you receive a solicitation from anyone in any form (phone call, email, text, letter, etc.) claiming that they can lower your utility rate, dismiss it immediately as a scam and an attempt by them to gain valuable information from you. Please remember that if you are a City of Hagerstown electric utility customer, the City is the lone source for providing that service to you. Protect yourself by simply not entertaining these attempts aimed at defrauding you. Please read below for more information.
Around the country, utility customers have been targeted by criminals through schemes that include door-to-door visits, phone calls and electronic communications. For your safety and security, we urge all customers to remain vigilant against con artists who claim to be associated with our company.
Review known scams that target utility customers, and keep the following tips in mind to help ensure the safety of your family, property, and personal information.
Important Safety Reminders
- Customers who are behind on their accounts receive written notices of a possible disconnection and how to prevent it. Our representatives will not call or email to demand immediate payment or threaten imminent shutoff.
- Scammers often use Caller ID spoofing software to misrepresent the source of a phone call to further mislead and confuse their targets. Call-back numbers provided by these criminals often use greetings and hold messages that mimic legitimate businesses. If you have any doubts about the status of your electric service, call the City of Hagerstown using the numbers on our website to ask about your account.
- City of Hagerstown employees do not contact customers to request sensitive information such as social security numbers or bank account information.
- Do not allow anyone claiming to be a utility employee into your home unless you scheduled an appointment and the employee has provided proper identification. Our utility employees typically visit a home only in response to a service request or after providing prior notification.
- City of Hagerstown utility employees always carry photo identification, and all field employees wear uniforms with the City logo on their shirt and drive clearly marked company vehicles.
- Our utilities offer a wide array of approved billing and payment options. Only send your payments to the City of Hagerstown, and never use a payment account provided to you by an unknown individual.
- Our Citizens Self Service Portal can help you keep track of the amount and timing of your bill, and our online payment option can help ensure your account is always paid on time.