Easing Winter Heating Bills:
Due to the length of the heating season and the low temperatures experienced by our customers, some electric bills will appear higher in cost than some may expect. The monthly bill is made up of several components:
- Kilowatthour (kWh) charge = the measured amount of electric used within the billing period
- Purchase Power Cost Adjustment (PPCA) = the number of kWh used times the PPCA factor for the billing period
The Hagerstown Light Department is a not-for-profit entity. The PPCA is a pass-through charge and is utilized to capture costs associated with fluctuations caused by weather conditions and varying usage patterns. The remaining components of the bill are state and federal taxes and surcharges.
In order to reduce the variations in monthly bills, all eligible customers should consider utilizing the Average Payment Plan offered by the Hagerstown Light Department. Call (301) 790-4160 for details.
For more information on conserving energy and reducing electric costs within your home, visit our energy savings page.
More on Utility Billing:
Utility Billing provides accurate and timely utility meter reading and billing. It works side-by-side with Customer Service, Electric and Water/Sewer Operations in providing courteous and efficient customer service.
Electric accounts are divided into 12 routes and billed in cycles each month. Water/Sewer/Recycling accounts are divided into 24 quarterly routes and 1 monthly route, also being read and billed in cycles.
A Reminder for our Utilities Customers:
A late payment charge of 10% will be calculated upon the total charges and applied to the Water and Wastewater bill or any portion of the bill not paid by the current amount due date. Each subsequent Water and Wastewater Bill not paid in full will be subject to the aforementioned late payment charge on the unpaid balance. Additionally for HLD customers, late payment charges will be imposed on all delinquent bills excluding State charges and taxes. Late payment charges will not exceed a total of 5% of the unpaid bill.
Contact information during normal business day from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm:
High/low water bill (leaks) - Water Dept. 301-739-8577 ext 690
New water/sewer connections - Water Dept. 301-739-8577 ext 676
Allocation bills - Ashley Newcomer 301-739-8577 ext 656
Recycling/refuse - Engineering Dept. 301-739-8577 ext 125
All other billing/customer inquiries - Customer Service 301-790-4160
Electric service - 301-790-2600
Water/Sewer - 301-790-3207
Termination of Service:
To avoid disconnection of service, payments must be received prior to the turn off date. Please contact our Customer Service prior to your turn off date to discuss a reasonable payment plan.
For assistance in paying utility bills, please contact Washington County Community Action Council - 101 Summit Avenue, Hagerstown, MD; 301-797-4161.
By mail using check or money order; be certain to include bill stub; write your account number on your check or money order; DO NOT SEND CASH
- At the cashier window in City Hall, 1 E. Franklin St.; you may pay in cash, check, money order or credit/debit card
- Automatic debit from a savings or current bank account; call Customer Service for details
- Online option using credit cards only at www.hagerstownmd.org
- Walk-up drop box at City Hall, along E. Franklin Street entrance; be certain to include bill stub and write your account number on your check or money order
- By telephone - using debit or credit cards only; please call Customer Service at 301-790-4160
- By mail using check or money order; be certain to include bill stub; write your account number on your check or money order; DO NOT SEND CASH
- In person at the cashier window in City Hall, 1 E. Franklin St.; you may pay in cash, check, money order or credit/debit card