- Police Cadet
Requirements, Prior Substance Abuse by Applicants for Certification and Physical Testing (PT) Standards
To qualify to take our test, you must be a U.S. Citizen, have a High School Diploma or certificate of GED recognized by the Maryland Board of Education, have a valid driver's license from any state, and you must be between the ages of 18-20.
Eyesight correctable to at least 20/30 in each eye.
All applicants are required to meet the selection requirements of the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) and Hagerstown Police Department. The selection process includes a thorough background investigation mandated by Maryland law. Part of that background investigation includes a close examination of the potential applicant's prior substance abuse.
An individual is ineligible for initial certification as a police officer in Maryland if the individual has:
- Been convicted or otherwise found guilty of selling, manufacturing, or distributing a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana;
- Ever illegally sold, produced, cultivated, distributed, or transported a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana;
- Illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, (other than marijuana) for any purpose within the 36 months before application for certification;
- Ever heroin, phencyclidine (PCP), or lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD);
- Ever illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana while employed to enforce federal, State, or local law by any government entity, or
- Illegally engaged in the use of marijuana for any purpose within the 12 months preceding the date of application for certification;
- Other than marijuana, used any controlled dangerous substance or narcotic drug, or any combination of controlled dangerous substances or narcotic drug that exceeds a total of five or more times, or exceeds one time since becoming 21 years old.
All applicants must pass a physical agility assessment that includes elements developed and mandated by the Maryland Police Training and Standards Commission. Two different assessments are used – one for entry level applicants (based on the Washington County Police Academy entry level training program) and one for lateral/certified applicants.
Physical Agility Assessments Entry Level Application