43-53 West Washington Street: Updegraff Buildings

UNDER CONTRACT

PUBLIC NOTICE OF PROPOSED CONVEYANCE OF REAL PROPERTY

"Sale of City Owned Property"

The City of Hagerstown currently owns real property located at 43-53 West Washington Street. Pursuant to Chapter 235, Urban Renewal, of the City Code, the property was acquired for the purpose of resale in order to facilitate redevelopment and rehabilitation of the property. The property is not needed for a public purpose and the City of Hagerstown intends to convey the property to Hager 5, LLC through the Competitive Negotiated Sale Program.

43-47 W. Washington Street



The first Updegraff Building is six bays wide, three-stories tall, with segmental arch windows, a bracketed cornice, and mid-20th century storefronts. The surveyor (Ron Andrews) speculated the building was constructed c.1820’s as a 2½ story house and later altered pre-1877 to add a third story and give the building an Italianate façade. The building was purchased in 1853 by the Updegraff family. This family was involved in the manufacture of hats in the pre-Civil War era and later the manufacture of gloves. The building was identified in the 1877 County atlas as Updegraff’s Hat, Glove, and Fur Manufactury. The building has excellent visibility on a heavily traveled arterial (US40) through Downtown Hagerstown, and across from University Plaza. Plentiful public parking is available in the nearby University District parking deck, A&E District parking deck, and Central parking lot. The zoning allows the building to be used for commercial and/or residential purposes.
  • Approximately 13,000 sf
  • Two storefronts on ground level
  • Apartments above
  • Courtyard in the middle
  • Parking in the rear
  • Full sprinkler system
43-47 West Washington Street front

49-53 W. Washington Street (BEAD Company)



The second Updegraff Building is a four-story Eastlake style commercial building constructed in 1882 by the Updegraff family to consolidate their clothing and glove manufacturing enterprises and to house their clothing retail store. The Updegraff family operated the retail store in the ground floor and their glove manufacturing enterprise on the upper floors. The later one-story addition behind the building housed their clothing manufacturing enterprise. The upper floors on the façade with their banded windows framed by four corbelled brick piers, decorative brickwork, and bracketed cornice are original to 1882. The mid-20th century storefronts were renovated in the late 1990’s by Mr. Groh to provide a more historically sympathetic appearance. The upper floor interiors are vacant and appear to be unaltered since the early 20th century or earlier. The front of the first floor was renovated by Mr. Groh in the late 1990’s and is currently home to the Potomac Bead Company. The building has excellent visibility on a heavily traveled arterial (US40) through Downtown Hagerstown, and across from University Plaza. Plentiful public parking is available in the nearby University District parking deck, A&E District parking deck, and Central parking lot. The zoning allows the building to be used for commercial and/or residential purposes. 
  • Approximately 27,000sf.
  • First floor currently occupied by Potomac Bead Co. under a three year lease.
  • Full sprinkler system.
  • Acquisition completed in April of 2013 using CDBG and State Community Legacy Funds.
  • Tenant Potomac Bead Co. has First Right of Refusal on building purchase.
49-53 West Washington  Street front
For information please contact:

Danelle Hayer, Business Development Specialist
dhayer@hagerstownmd.org

301-739-8577 ext 141