|$4.00||Seniors (62+), Students (13-17), & Military|
|$4.00||Group Rate (8 person min.)|
|5 & under Free Admission|
Ghost Tours, Hager House Outdoor
Friday, Saturdays & Sunday, 7pm & 8pm
- Oct. 16 (#7578)
- Oct. 22 (#7579)
- Oct. 23 (#7580)
- Oct. 31 (#7581)
Haunting tales keep this 18th century residence of town founder, Jonathan Hager, at the top of Maryland’s most haunted sites. Take a one-hour outdoor tour and listen and learn the fascinating common legends of ghosts of the Hager House. Pre-registration online strongly recommended. $8/pre- registered. $10/on-site.
The Hagers lived at "Hager's Fancy" for several years. During that time, Jonathan grew prosperous. He opened a trading post within his home as he continued to acquire land. On May 8, 1745, "Hager's Fancy" was sold to Jacob Rohrer for 200 pounds. The house remained within the Rohrer family until 1944. At that time, it was acquired by the Washington County Historical Society under the leadership of Hager historian Mary Vernon Mish, the house was restored to its former colonial beauty. It was presented to the City of Hagerstown in 1954. In September 1962 the home was opened to the public on the bicentennial anniversary of Hagerstown.
Today the Hager House is now completely outfitted with authentic furnishings of the period. It depicts a life long since forgotten. Not many American cities older than the country itself can present the homes of their founders completely restored. Hagerstown Maryland, has been given such a gift-for stepping into the Hager House is like taking a walk through the past.
Evincing leadership from the moment of his arrival in Western Maryland, Hager quickly became a leading citizen. He was involved in many activities: farmer, cattleman, even a gunsmith. Hager was a volunteer Captain of Scouts during the French and Indian War. In 1762 he founded Hagerstown and in 1771 and 1773 he was elected to the General Assembly at Annapolis, qualifying him as the first German to make his mark in politics.
On November 6,1775, Captain Hager was accidentally killed while supervising the building of the German (now Zion) Reformed Church on land which he had donated. At the time, he was serving on various critical pre-Revolutionary War Committees. Hager has been called the "Father of Washington County" due to his having laid the groundwork for its separation from Frederick County in 1776 and the subsequent creation of Hagerstown as County.