CDBG Public Service Grants
Each year the City of Hagerstown makes available Community Development Block Grant funds to local non-profit organizations to help fund activities that provide either: decent housing, a sustainable living environment, or expanded economic opportunities for low-and-moderate income persons. These funds are provided as public service grants to selected non-profits.
In order to allocate this funding (which is typically around fifteen percent of the City's overall entitlement grant) the City accepts applications from interested non-profits for a one month period typically from mid-December to mid-January.
Eligible non-profits must meet the follow specific criteria to be considered for funding:
- Be a registered 501(c)3;
- Be located in the City of Hagerstown or offer a service that primarily benefits residents of the City of Hagerstown;
- Must meet a CDBG program national objective; and,
- Must provide an activity that is either new or an expanded level of public service
The FY 2025 Application deadline will be January 5, 2024.
Any questions regarding your application status is encouraged to contact either Margi Joe, Community Development Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-739-8577 ext. 134 or Rachel Paul, Planning and Outreach Coordinator, at RPaul@hagerstownmd.org or 301-739-8577 ext. 820. Applications will be reviewed by City staff and CDBG Citizen Advisory Committee in late January/early February 2024.
CDBG Public Service Scoring Review Sheet
While the specific funding timeline varies from year-to-year, the below timeline is a rough outline as to the timeframe in which each deadline/event related to the CDBG public service/capital loan applications occurs. Specific dates will be marked on each year's application form and through various email confirmations to agencies.
- November 30, 2023: Application made available online
- November 30, 2023: First CDBG Public Needs Hearing
- January 5, 2024: Application deadline
- February 2024: Applications reviewed by City staff and CDBG Citizen Advisory Committee
- April 2024: Second CDBG Public Needs Hearing
- April/May 2024: Draft Annual Action Plan with proposed funding recommendations put on public display
- May/June 2024: CDBG budget approved by Mayor and City Council
- June 2024: Official award notifications to applicants
CDBG Mailing List
The City of Hagerstown regularly advertises information about grant opportunities through local media as well as emails to interested providers. If your agency would like to receive emails about possible funding opportunities, please contact Rachel Paul at RPaul@hagerstownmd.org or 301-739-8577 ext. 820.