CDBG Public Service Grants
Each year the City of Hagerstown makes available Community Development Block Grant funds to local non-profit organizations to help fund activities that provide either: decent housing, a sustainable living environment, or expanded economic opportunities for low-and-moderate income persons. These funds are provided as public service grants to selected non-profits.
In order to allocate this funding (which is typically around fifteen percent of the City's overall entitlement grant) the City accepts applications from interested non-profits for a one month period typically from mid-December to mid-January.
Eligible non-profits must meet the follow specific criteria to be considered for funding:
- Be a registered 501(c)3;
- Be located in the City of Hagerstown or offer a service that primarily benefits residents of the City of Hagerstown;
- Must meet a CDBG program national objective; and,
- Must provide an activity that is either new or an expanded level of public service
Anyone interested in applying for a CDBG public service grant is encouraged to contact either Jonathan Kerns, Community Development Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-739-8577 ext. 134 or Lauren Metz, Planning and Outreach Coordinator, at email@example.com or 301-739-8577 ext. 820 to confirm your project's eligibility prior to application.
While the specific funding timeline varies from year-to-year, the below timeline is a rough outline as to the timeframe in which each deadline/event related to the CDBG public service/capital loan applications occurs. Specific dates will be marked on each year's application form and through various email confirmations to agencies.
- Early December: Application made available online
- Early December: First CDBG Public Needs Hearing
- Early/Mid January: Application deadline
- Late January/Early February: Applications reviewed by City staff and CDBG Citizen Advisory Committee
- April/May: Second CDBG Public Needs Hearing
- April/May: Draft Annual Action Plan with proposed funding recommendations put on public display
- May/June: CDBG budget approved by Mayor and City Council
- May/June: Official award notifications to applicants
CDBG Mailing List
The City of Hagerstown regularly advertises information about grant opportunities through local media as well as emails to interested providers. If your agency would like to receive emails about possible funding opportunities, please contact Lauren Metz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-739-8577 ext. 820.