The Adopt-A-Block Program, in coordination with the volunteers of the Main Street Hagerstown program, engages local citizens in helping to keep the downtown district clean and beautiful. We invite community groups, schools, businesses, and individuals to take pride in their downtown, and to join us in the effort to reduce litter, tackle weeds, and create a more welcoming downtown environment.
Main Street Hagerstown is your downtown. Whether you live downtown, work downtown, or simply want to get involved in the beautification of your community, your participation is welcome. Together, we can do more.
How It Works
Each block in the Main Street area of Hagerstown will be available for adoption. A block is considered to be between two streets. You can choose to adopt as many blocks as you can maintain. The area to be maintained includes the curbs, sidewalks on both sides of the street, tree pits, and intersections.
Building B-L-O-C-K to Adopt-A-Block
- Build a team of volunteers from your workplace, organization, and neighborhood. Communicate with businesses and residents on the street in an effort to secure their involvement.
- Lead your group as the block captain. Register your group by filling our our online application.
- Organize a monthly clean-up of your adopted block(s), weather permitting. This means picking up litter "on the spot" when you see it.
- Commit to cleaning a minimum of two blocks for one year with your group.
- Keep in Touch about your clean-ups. We want to brag about your efforts so share your photos with us. Post them on social media and tag us @HagerstownMainStreet and @HagerstownDCED.
Main Street Hagerstown Provides:
- A clean-up kit that includes trash bags, gloves, and litter-grabber.
- Gloves and trash bags throughout the year as needed.
- Information door-hangers and/or handouts for your blocks, so you can share with your neighbors what you are doing to improve their blocks and how they can help.
Interested in adopting a block? Great! Here is how you can get started:
- Identify the block(s) you want to adopt in the map.
- Complete the application.
If you feel like you need a little direction to get started and would like us too meet with you and a few of your neighbors, please let us know and we will come to your block and answer any questions you or your group may have about getting started.