Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council
Apply Today for the 2021-2022 Council!
The Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council is currently accepting applications for the 2021-2022 council! Applications can be submitted electronically or by email to HYACadmin@hagerstownmd.org. All applications must be submitted by April 30, 2021 and eligibility information is listed below.
Successful applicants will be appointed to a two year term by the Hagerstown Mayor and City Council (unless otherwise indicated).
Applicants also have the opportunity to submit their application in the form of a video submission. All questions from the application form must be answered in this video, but the content is otherwise at the applicant's discretion. Interested video applicants are requested to contact city staff at HYACadmin@hagerstownmd.org to coordinate the submission process via a dropbox link.
About the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council
The Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council was established by the Hagerstown Mayor and City Council to give Hagerstown youth the ability to provide feedback and recommendations regarding community policies and programs that affect their future and to take a leadership role in creating meaningful change. Members of the Youth Advisory Council will have the opportunity to raise their voices and share their experiences with local dignitaries, agencies, and other youth as well as participate in other fun activities like selecting the City's downtown Christmas Tree, plan an Earth Day event, and even work on the new City Dog project!
In order to serve on the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council youth must meet the below qualifications:
- Be a resident of the City of Hagerstown or attend a public/private high school or home-school located in the City of Hagerstown;
- Be currently enrolled in either an accredited public or private high school or home-school; and,
- Be entering the ninth, tenth, eleventh, or twelfth grade at the beginning of council program year.
Hagerstown Youth Advisory Councilmembers (2020-2021)
- Tina Akondeng-Azise, North Hagerstown High School
- Kevin Bokoum, North Hagerstown High School
- Zachary Brooks, North Hagerstown High School (Vice-Chair)
- Tashera Lloyd, South Hagerstown High School
- Blessing Moses, South Hagerstown High School
- Maya Murthy, North Hagerstown High School (Chair)
- Hailey Olivero, North Hagerstown High School
- Eden Teodorovici, North Hagerstown High School (Secretary)
- Ethan VanMeter, South Hagerstown High School
- (18-21 Year Old Member) Summer Seaward, Hood College
- (Alternate) Jeremey Calcarian, North Hagerstown High School
Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council Partner Group
The Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council Partner Group was established by the Hagerstown Mayor and City Council to assist City Staff with the program and to serve as mentors and advisers to the youth councilmembers. Members of the Partner Group must be either affiliated, employed, or a board member for one of the following:
- a non-profit with a mission/function related to youth development/education/wellness/housing;
- a non-profit with a mission related to community diversity/culture; and/or,
- Washington County Board of Education.
2020-2021 Partner Group Members
- Pieter Bickford, Washington County Board of Education
- Kerry Fair, Bester Community of Hope
- Eric Rollins, Western Maryland Consortium
- Shana Ruff, Girls Inc. of Washington County
- Tony Williams, Beacon House
City of Hagerstown Staff Support
- Lauren Metz, Planning and Outreach Coordinator
- Jonathan Kerns, Community Development Manager
2020-2021 Meeting Schedule
All meetings of the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council are held at the BuroBox. 60 W. Washington Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740 unless otherwise noted. All meetings are open to the public, however, public attendees may not have the opportunity to participate in the meeting. Meetings will typically be held on the first Thursday and third Monday of each month unless the third Monday is a holiday.
Thursday, September 3, 2020 - 4:00 PM
Monday, September 14, 2020 - 3:30 PM
Friday, October 2, 2020 - 3:30 PM
Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 4:00 PM
Thursday, October 29, 2020 - 4:00 PM
Monday, November 9, 2020 - 5:00 PM
Monday, November 23, 2020 - 6:00 PM
Monday, December 7, 2020 - 6:00 PM
Monday, December 21, 2020 - 6:00 PM
Monday, January 4, 2021 - 6:00 PM
Monday, January 25, 2021 - 6:00 PM
Monday, February 8, 2021 - 6:00 PM
Monday, February 22, 2021 - 6:00 PM
Monday, March 8, 2021 - 6:00 PM
Monday, March 22, 2021 - 6:00 PM
Monday, April 12, 2021 - 6:00 PM
Want to Speak to the Council?
Any group that is interested in sharing information with the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council is encouraged to first reach out to Lauren Metz at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.
Any questions regarding the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council can be forwarded to city staff at the Department of Community and Economic Development at either email@example.com or HYACadmin@hagerstownmd.org or 301-739-8577 ext. 820.