Rental Licensing Inspections
Exterior inspections are performed annually and are designed to ensure a property is maintained to a minimum standard. The focus is both on safety and minimizing any negative effect on neighboring properties. Interior inspections are needed no more often than once every four years and only when there is a tenant turnover. Designed to ensure a minimum safety and health standard, inspections focus on making sure there are properly installed and functioning smoke detectors, adequate means of egress and emergency escape, sufficient ceiling height, proper ventilation and no electrical hazards.
- Required at the first tenant turnover if the unit has not been inspected in the preceding four years.
- Inspections are good for a minimum of four years. After four years another inspection is required at the next tenant turnover.
- The owner/agent is responsible for contacting the office to schedule an inspection at least three business days prior to a new tenant moving in.
- Water, electricity and gas (if applicable) must be turned on.
- The unit should be “move-in ready”. Any renovation/repair work should be completed.
- The unit needs to be vacant. A few belongings are acceptable, but they must be moved away from walls to allow for the inspection.
To request an inspection call 301-739-8577 ext 103 or email your request to Code Administration. Please note that only the property owner or agent can request an inspection.
The following information is required when requesting an inspection:
- Name of the person/organization requesting the inspection
- Address of the property to be inspected, including unit number if applicable
- Entry instructions, including access location, contact telephone number, lock box code, etc.
- Conducted annually - Map of Inspection Area
- Exterior inspections do not need to be scheduled and the owner does not need to be present. However, you can request to be present by calling 301-739-8577 ext 103.
- Results of the inspections will be sent via mail unless other arrangements are made.