Click to Home

Go To Search
Connect with us:
Jonathan Hager House & Museum
 Ghost Tour _ aug_ 18_ 2016_ HM_ad_.PNG Click Image to link to online registration!   
 
Opening Weekend 2016: April 1st, 2nd & 3rd
 
Hours of Operation
This historic house museum, originally built by town founder as his first home, is now open for tours every Friday and Saturday (April - October) from 10:00 am- 4:00 pm, and on select Sundays* from 12:00 pm- 5:00 pm. in Hagerstown City Park. Located at 110 Key Street. (301)739-8393
   
 
2016 Spring & Summer Events at the Hager House
*Sunday hours (Noon-5pm)
-     April 1, 2 & 3*        Opening Weekend!
-     May 7, 8 & 9*         Museum Ramble
-     June 10, 11 & 12*   American Doll House Tours (pre-registration required)
-     June 17, 18 & 19*   American Doll House Tours (pre-registration required)
-     July 15, 16 & 17*    Civil War Memories
-     August 19              Ghost Tour Preview (pre-registration required)
-     September 17         Fall Fest at City Park- Living History- the era of "ElizabethTowne"
 
Fall Fest Ad.JPG
 STANDARD TOUR ADMISSION
Adults:
Seniors/Students (13-17):
Children (6-12):
5 & under:
Group Tours:
 For more information, call: 301-739-8577 x 170
$3.00
$2.00
$1.00
Free
$2.00 per person
*different rates apply for specialty tours
 

Hager House Kitchen
Hager House Cellar

Situated in Hagerstown's City Park, the Hager House is built of uncut fieldstones carefully fitted by the young German immigrant who had traveled to the wilderness of Western Maryland in search of adventure and possible fortune. Jonathan Hager had arrived on the shores of the new colonies in 1736, debarking at the Port of Philadelphia. Eventually, he chose to make his home in Maryland, where Charles Calvert, proprietor of the colony, was offering cheap land to those willing to settle in the western frontier. Many immigrants turned back, but Hager refused to be discouraged.

On June 5, 1739, Hager purchased 200 acres of land from Daniel Dulany for 44 pounds. He dubbed his tract "Hager's Fancy." With the location carefully chosen over cool spring water, construction of the now 3 1/2 story home began. In 1740 Hager married German neighbor, Elizabeth Kershner and presented her with the new house.

The new home must have evoked many pleasant memories for the Hagers. Styled in the German tradition, the large central chimney added warmth to the stone structure, while a fill of rye straw and mud between floors and partitions served as insulation against the cruel winters. During the summers, the family could retreat to the cellar where the spring water provided coolness as well as safety and convenience. The Hagers must have been comforted by their home's twenty-two inch walls which stood firmly
against man and nature.

Structurally impregnable, with a protected water supply, Hager's home served as a frontier fort in case of Indian attack.

The Hagers lived at "Hager's Fancy" for several years. During that time, Jonathan grew prosperous. He opened a trading post within his home as he continued to acquire land. On May 8, 1745, "Hager's Fancy" was sold to Jacob Rohrer for 200 pounds. The house remained within the Rohrer family until 1944. At that time, it was acquired by the Washington County Historical Society under the leadership of Hager historian Mary Vernon Mish, the house was restored to its former colonial beauty. It was presented to the City of Hagerstown in 1954. In September 1962 the home was opened to the public on the bicentennial anniversary of Hagerstown.

Today the Hager House is now completely outfitted with authentic furnishings of the period. It depicts a life long since forgotten. Not many American cities older than the country itself can present the homes of their founders completely restored. Hagerstown Maryland, has been given such a gift-for stepping into the Hager House is like taking a walk through the past.

Evincing leadership from the moment of his arrival in Western Maryland, Hager quickly became a leading citizen. He was involved in many activities: farmer, cattleman, even a gunsmith. Hager was a volunteer Captain of Scouts during the French and Indian War. In 1762 he founded Hagerstown and in 1771 and 1773 he was elected to the General Assembly at Annapolis, qualifying him as the first German to make his mark in politics.

On November 6,1775, Captain Hager suffered fatal injuries in an accident while supervising the construction of the German (now Zion) Reformed Church at one of the two parcels of land on Potomac Street which he had donated in 1774 for the construction of two churches (one German-speaking and the other English-speaking). At the time, he was serving on various critical pre-Revolutionary War Committees. Hager has been called the "Father of Washington County" due to his legendary influence and commitment to public service at the time Washington County was formed from Frederick County in 1776, and the subsequent creation of Hagerstown as the County seat.