Requirements , Prior Substance Abuse by Applicants for Certification and Physical Testing (PT) Standards
To qualify to take our test, you must be a U.S. Citizen, have a High School Diploma or certificate of GED recognized by the Maryland Board of Education, have a valid driver’s license from any state, and you must be 21 years of age or reach age 21 by academy graduation.
Eyesight correctable to at least 20/30 in each eye.
All applicants are required to meet the selection requirements of the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) and Hagerstown Police Department. The selection process includes a thorough background investigation mandated by Maryland law. Part of that background investigation includes a close examination of the potential applicant's prior substance abuse.
An individual is ineligible for initial certification as a police officer in Maryland if the individual has:
(1) Been convicted or otherwise found guilty of selling, manufacturing, or distributing a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana;
(2) Ever illegally sold, produced, cultivated, distributed, or transported a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana;
(3) Illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within the 36 months before application for certification;
(4) Ever illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, or narcotic drug for other than experimentation as specified under §D of this regulation; or
(5) Ever illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana while employed to enforce federal, State, or local law by any government entity.
D. Presumption of Experimentation. The illegal use of a controlled dangerous substance, or narcotic drug is not experimentation if the applicant:
(1) Ever used:
(b) Phencyclodine (PCP); or
(c) Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD); or
(2) Other than heroin, PCP, LSD, or marijuana, used any controlled dangerous substance or narcotic drug, or any combination of controlled dangerous substances or narcotic drug that exceeds:
(a) A total of five times; or
(b) One time since becoming 21 years old.
The entire regulation governing the hiring and certification of police officers can be found here:
PT StandardsAll applicants are required to pass a pre-employment fitness test. The Hagerstown Police Department has adopted the Cooper Institute Absolute Standard Test for this component of the selection process. To view the physical qualification test, please click here.
It is important to start a training regimen to help you prepare for passing the PQT. It is highly recommended that you consult with your personal physician before starting any exercise program. To view an example of a training regimen to help you pass the PQT, please click here.
It is critical that you prepare for the PQT using proper form for both the push-up and sit-up portions of the PQT. See the videos below for an example of the push-up technique and sit-up technique that you must exhibit during physical qualification testing.